Monday, April 5, 2010

8th April Trina Schart Hyman (1939 - 2004)


Trina Schart Hyman is written about at length and at this website is a very comprehensive biography with examples of her illustrations. She won the Caldecott Medal in 1985 for St George and the Dragon which was written by Margaret Hodges and she has had three Caldecott Honour books. I especially like her retelling of Little Red Riding Hood so when I read that it was her favourite story and that she spent a year of her life wearing a red cape I wasn't surprised. There seems to be so much love/warmth in her Red Riding Hood. She beams with enthusiasm, she is pretty and you cannot help but like her and read the story from her point of view. I haven't seen her book called Self-Portrait; Trina Schart Hyman but the pictures I have seen from it make me want to go in search of it.

No comments:

Post a Comment