Tuesday, May 25, 2010

27th May Rachel Carson (1907 - 1964)


Rachel Carson was an American ecologist, a marine biologist and nature writer whose writings are credited with beginning the global environmental movement. I have included her birthday because in the library we have a beautiful picture book - Rachel: The Story of Rachel Carson by Amy Ehrlich and Wendell Minor. Year 2 use it when they look at biographies and again when doing an environmental unit of work. It highlights Rachel's childhood and how she was an inquisitive child who liked to be outside exploring the natural world. An epilogue fills in the other details of her life.

While searching to see whether there were other children's books about Rachel Carson I learned that there is Rachel Carson: Preserving a Sense of Wonder by Joseph Bruchac and Thomas Locker. I would like to see it as Thomas Locker's illustrations always interest me. Viewing his illustrations always makes me feel as if I am at an exhibition of paintings in a gallery. I also found a very interesting interview with Amy and Wendell about the making of the book about Rachel Carson.

No comments:

Post a Comment