Sunday, May 1, 2011

1st May Mother Goose Day! Daniel Kirk (1952)



Mother Goose Day is a day that I always try to plan something for because children do not know their nursery rhymes like they did when I first started teaching and because there are so many great language activities that you can do using nursery rhymes. I wrote about them on this day last year so I don't want to dwell on them here. I have bikes and New York on my mind because my daughter is riding in the Five Buro Bike Ride today and I am envious.

So today I want to highlight five books, with very tenuous links...they are about New York or bikes and one, The Magic Bicycle by Brian Patten and Arthur Robins even manages to include both! The others are:
This is New York by Miroslav Sasek
A Walk in New York by Salvatore Rubbino
Larry Gets Lost in New York City by Michael Mullin and John Skewes. Here a dog named Larry manages to visit all five buroughs of New York! and
The Magical Bicycle by Berlie Doherty and Christian Birmingham

P.S I have just learned that it is Daniel Kirk's birthday and as he is the author/illustrator of Library Mouse he should rate a mention. His website has good activities for this book so check it out.


1 comment:

  1. Oooh, I'd love to read the Magic Bicycle, but it looks like I'll have a hard time getting to. It's not at our library.

    ReplyDelete