Tuesday, May 8, 2012

9th May Maurice Sendak (10/6/1928 - 8/5/2012)


I just read the sad news. The world will be a poorer place with the passing of Maurice Sendak. We needed him to keep the fire in children's literature. Together with Tomi Ungerer he has kept debate alive about what children need, are capable of coping with and what critics need to back off about. In an odd sort of way Sendak is the reason I pursued children's literature as my area of further study. I had seen the power of literature using Where the Wild Things Are and Aidan Chambers' Booktalk questions and I wanted to know more. See my birthday entry for the 10th June. Also see the NY Times article and this article where it includes Sendak's wonderful quote about his view of ebooks. Interesting timing as today I just finished writing in the library newsletter about ebooks and apps.

Ebooks - "I hate them. It's like making believe there's another kind of sex. There isn't another kind of sex. There isn't another kind of book! A book is a book is a book."


No comments:

Post a Comment