Day 2 of Refugee Week! Australian authors and illustrators have excelled at producing wonderful books on the themes of refugees, immigration, change, and coping in a new environment. Novels include:
• Boy Overboard by Morris Gleitzman
• Onion Tears by Diana Kidd
• No Guns For Asmir by Christobel Mattingley and
• Mahtab's Story by Libby Gleeson.
And two very powerful, outstanding picture books, that are often considered to be graphic novels:
• The Arrival by Shaun Tan, and
• The Island by Armin Greder.
All of these are designed for audiences older than my student clientele, but they are books that all teachers need to know about and have in their library for teaching using children's literature.