Tuesday, July 3, 2012

4th July Soup Day








I don't think such a day exists but it has been very cold here in Sydney the last few days and it feels like soup weather so it should exist. A group of teacher friends and I had a soup lunch. It was wonderful exchanging teacher stories over warm soup, crusty bread, cake and coffee. It made me think of winter displays for the library and while I always do snow and winter sports I got to thinking was there enough books to do a soup display?

And there is! There are several different versions of Stone Soup of course, but as well there was:
1. Pumpkin Soup by Helen Cooper
2. Making Minestrone by Stella Blackstone and Nan Brooks
3. Growing Vegetable Soup by Lois Ehlert
4. Carrot Soup by John Segal
5. Watch Out For Chicken Feet in Your Soup by Tomie dePaola
6. Alphabet Soup by Kate Banks and Peter Sis
7. Everybody Serves Soup by Norah Dooley and Peter J. Thornton
Many of these have soup recipes at the back of the story and while looking for pictures I learned there is in fact a book called Soup Day by Melissa Iwai which also sounds ideal for my clientele, so I need to add it to my shopping list.

No comments:

Post a Comment