Saturday, February 15, 2014

15th February World Whale Day



Driving through Mona Vale today I saw a sign advertising celebrations for World Whale Day and thought what a pity it was so close to so many other celebrations because children love whales and reading about them and it would have made a wonderful library display. Luckily in Australia we have National Whale Day as well in June so there will be another opportunity to put together a wonderful display of  books about whales.

In fact in the last month or so I have bought several new books for the library that feature whales and these four have especially memorable illustrations and are worth borrowing to read.

If You Want to See a Whale by Julie Fogliano &  Erin Stead
The Storm Whale by Benji Davies
Whale Shines by Fiona Robinson
Welcome Home by Christina Booth




And of course there's always older favourites that always work well when read aloud such as:
• The Lighthouse Keeper's Rescue by Ronda & David Armitage
My Friend Whale by Simon James, and
 The Morning I Met a Whale by Michael Morpurgo & Christian Birmingham








4 comments:

  1. I do wish I had known this earlier in the day. I like to send my teachers news of daily celebrations, author birthdays etc once each week. Monday is the birthday of Banjo Paterson but I would also have liked to tell them about the whales. Living and working on the coast whales and other sea mammals hold a special fascination. My favourite whale - which I will probably never actually see is the Narwhal. You book list gives me more titles to add to my shopping list.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I should also say my favourite whale book is The Whale's Song by Dyan Sheldon. You can almost hear the music of the whales in this beautiful book.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like Dyan Sheldon's book too and we have it, but I decided to stick to new and ones I share regularly with classes. We could do a whale Pinterest page.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes please Whales and other sea creatures might be good ... Sharks, penguins, dolphins etc.

      Delete