Tuesday, January 12, 2016

15th January Martin Luther King (1929 - 1968)

When I first started collecting biographies for the library I steered clear of those that were specifically related to American history because I didn't think my eight year olds would relate to these prominent people or be particularly interested in them. I did however buy one about Rosa Parks and not only were my readers interested in her but they were outraged at how she was treated. Two students wanted to read more about 'black people in America' so I went in search of other bibliographies. It was easy to find musicians and sportsmen, but I also bought one about Martin Luther King, Martin's Big Words: The Life of Martin Luther King, Jr. by Doreen Rappaport and Bryan Collier. This highly awarded book, is a portrait of strong man whose dream changed America and the world and it does seem that Australian eight year olds can see that and wonder at its ramifications. It would make the perfect read for today, Martin Luther King's birthdate.





1 comment:

  1. I use this book to with older students. I love the stain glass end papers and the lyrical use of words Martin heard preached by his dad.

    ReplyDelete